H-1B Seekers Should Consider DV Lottery
January 17, 2021
H-1B visa seekers with STEM backgrounds should consider participating in the Green Card Lottery. With growing uncertainty for the future of immigrants in the United States due to the actions of the Trump administration, many foreign nationals are left considering their futures.
The H-1B visa is one of the most popular work visas in the US. It is typically given to people who have completed education and/or training that qualifies them for highly sought-after jobs. This visa lasts for a maximum of 6 years; however, many H-1B visa holders want to stay and work in the US after their visa has expired.
Many H-1B visa applicants may want to consider participating in the Green Card Lottery. Reasons include:
- Shortage of STEM workers in the US – There has been a shortage in the amount of qualified STEM workers for the past ten years. However, this issue will become even more apparent in the next five years as The National Association of Manufacturing and Deloitte have reported the United States will have 3.5 million jobs to fill by 2025, with over 2 million going unfilled due to the lack of skilled candidates. This shortage is a result of the lack of interest in STEM for younger generations and barriers to obtaining the H-1 B Visa due to the Trump administration’s executive order to “Buy American and Hire American”.
- Trump’s executive order to curb H1-B visas – On June 22nd of last year, Trump signed an executive order restricting foreign nationals from outside the US from using certain temporary employment-based visas through the end of the year. This order did not affect visa holders already in the US or with visas that have already been approved as well as health care workers focused on treating and researching COVID-19. For STEM workers looking to enter the United States, the Green Card Lottery may currently be the best option.
- Demand for STEM workers will remain high – Although Biden promises to reinstate the H-1B visa once in office, it is still likely that there may not be enough H-1B visas available to satisfy employer demand. Annually, there has been a history of the H-1B visa reaching capacity on the first day of availability. Appling to the Green Card Lottery will give applicants a fallback strategy if H-1B visas are unavailable.
- The Green Card Lottery can be extremely beneficial – Obtaining a green card through the Green Card Lottery is the easiest way to get a permanent visa to live and work in the U.S., and those who are selected will reap major rewards. A green card would allow unfettered availability to apply for jobs without the restrictions of an H-1B visa.
- Eligibility for permanent residence – Obtaining a US green card gives you the opportunity to apply for permanent residence which is not guaranteed with an H-1B visa.
USA Green Card can help you apply to this year’s program. Our end-to-end service will professionally review, submit, and track your application results with the U.S. State Department.
#H1B #STEM #GREENCARDLOTTERY #DVLOTTERY #USVISA #WORKVISA #USEMPLOYMENT
Back to News